Company is First Automaker in the United States to Offer Live, Mobile TV
* Company now offers live, mobile TV in eight 2010 model-year vehicles: Chrysler Town & Country, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jeep® Commander, Dodge Grand Caravan, Dodge Journey, Dodge Nitro, Ram 1500 and Ram 2500/3500
* Watch live sports, breaking news, kids’ programs and primetime network shows in the back seat
* Content includes programming from ABC, ABC Entertainment, ABC Family, ABC News, Adult Swim Mobile, CBS, CBS College Sports, CBS News, CNBC, CNN Mobile, COMEDY CENTRAL, Disney Channel, Disney Channel Original Movies, ESPN, ESPNEWS, ESPN 2, FOX, FOX News Channel, FOX Sports, Fuel TV, MSNBC, MTV, NBC, NBC2Go, NBC News, NBC Sports, Nickelodeon, Playhouse Disney, SOAPNet and Speed
* Feature available now as a Mopar option for $629 plus installation, includes one-year subscription
* Mopar’s live, mobile TV option includes 3-year/36,000-mile warranty for new vehicles and a 12-month/12,000-mile warranty on used vehicles
Live, mobile TV is coming to the Mile-High City.
Mopar is channeling live, mobile TV into Chrysler, Jeep®, Dodge and Ram vehicles. The company will showcase its new technology at the 2010 Denver Auto Show.
Chrysler Group LLC is the first automaker in the United States to offer live, mobile TV to consumers. The system offers something for everyone: college and professional sports, breaking news, children’s shows, primetime sitcoms, reality TV and daytime dramas.
“We are the first automaker in the United States to offer live, mobile TV in more than 100 metropolitan markets,” said Pietro Gorlier, President and Chief Executive Officer – Mopar Service, Parts and Customer Care, Chrysler Group LLC. “Live, mobile TV gives our customers the ultimate in entertainment and it’s a great example of how Mopar adds value to our Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge and Ram Truck brands.
“With Mopar’s wide range of options and accessories, customers may customize their vehicles to fit their needs and aspirations,” Gorlier added. “In addition to accessories, Mopar also supports each brand with excellent customer service, enhanced with cutting-edge service-tool technology including wireless diagnostic.”
Until now, the challenge for mobile TV has been to deliver high-quality, uninterrupted coverage in urban environments and at highway speeds. Existing mobile TV systems in the United States either offer limited channels or require larger satellite dishes on vehicle roofs – and a large price tag to match.
Mopar’s suggested retail price is $629, plus installation. A one-year pre-paid subscription is included with installation.
The entertainment package is available as a dealer-installed option on the following 2008-2010 model-year vehicles with factory DVD entertainment systems: Chrysler Town & Country, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jeep Commander, Dodge Grand Caravan, Dodge Journey, Dodge Nitro, Ram 1500 and Ram 2500/3500.
The service also may be added to select 2008-2010 model-year vehicles when new Mopar headrests or seat-top DVD entertainment systems are purchased.
How It Works
Television signals are delivered through a dedicated multicast network built by San Diego-based FLO™ TV Inc., a live, mobile TV service provider and a wholly owned subsidiary of Qualcomm Inc. FLO TV offers live and time-shifted programming from top entertainment brands.
The service is available in more than 100 major markets and many interstate driving corridors; however, it is not available in some rural areas.
Audiovox Corp., of Hauppauge, NY, supplies FLO TV Auto Entertainment hardware that integrates with Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge and Ram vehicles’ existing entertainment systems and new Mopar 7-inch DVD screen systems. A small antenna, similar in size to a laptop mouse, is mounted on a vehicle’s roof to deliver the digital TV signal. Inside the vehicle, the receiver and wiring are installed under the interior trim of the vehicle and are not visible to occupants.
User-friendly wired and wireless remote controls allow viewers to easily surf channels, similar to TV systems at home.
Mopar’s live, mobile TV option includes a 3-year/36,000-mile warranty on new vehicles or a 12-month/12,000-mile warranty on used vehicles for hardware and installation.